Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Not About Me

Once again, I really want to post continuations as to how I got to NYC story blogs, but more things keep happening to me that I need to post about instead.

This past Friday, my boyfriend and I decided to take a break from our relationship. We needed to grow in ways that we couldn't grow if we were dating. I'm not going to go into how he's changing because while he's told me about it, it's not my business to share it with the world. Sorry :)

It's only been five days, and I've learned more about myself and what I need to do than I have in the entire month that I've been in NYC. On Sunday at Hillsong Church our pastor talked about the dash on our tombstones. He said that he wants his dash to be about OTHERS. He said that numbers DO matter in a church because every person is a number. It doesn't matter how high or low that number is, but the numbers matter. He wants his legacy to be known as a man for others.

Then on Tuesday I joined a small group from Hillsong NYC and we continued conversation about our legacies. Back at home I tried my hardest to be about others. I talked to everyone in school, I lead a middle school small group, I did all I thought I could at the time. But when I got here to NYC, I thought about, "Now what about me?" and I became so focused on what God wanted me to do for me. From Friday until Sunday afternoon, I though my boyfriend and I's break was about ME finding ME.

But it's not.

It's not about me.

It's about others.

My legacy needs to be about others. While I don't know HOW exactly God wants me for others, I at least now know that He does want me for them.

"But the Lord is in His Holy Temple; the Lord still rules from heaven. He watches everyone closely; examining every person on Earth." Psalm 11:4

Number do matter. I had forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment