Thursday, January 8, 2015

Two letters-An apology and a change

Majority of my friends know and are full aware that I've been a Jesus freak for most of my life. I used to be one of those "love the sinner hate the sin" type of Christian, but my perspective has changed a tad. So I've decided to write two letters, an apology for nonChristians and perspective change for Christians.

Dear Non-Christians,

I, Emily Krull, would like to publicly apologize for the way many Christians act/treat you. We're supposed to be loving towards you and the majority of us are not. I'm sorry. 

If any Christian has ever told you you're a sinner and you're going to hell because of your lifestyle or what you believe in, I'm sorry. I don't know why so many of us think we have the authority to talk to you that way. 

If you have been hurt, bullied, looked down on by a Christian ever in your life, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry we don't live what we preach. 

Christians who treat you the way that you do are the reason I have to clarify WHAT KIND OF Christian I am when I tell people. 

All I ask is for you to give Christians a second chance. We're not all like Westboro Baptist Church (people like that embarass me). I refuse to surround myself with "Christians" like that. I hate that we built a reputation for ourselves that is the exact OPPOSITE of what we believe in. If you ever hear me, personally, saying anything hurtful, please, call me out on it.

Again, I'm so sorry. 

Emily 

Dear Christians,

I'm pretty sure we all love Jesus (hence why we're Christians). But I feel like some of us forget that that's kinda the important part. Being a Christian isn't about telling people they're sinners, it's about telling people about the unconditional love our Savior gave us. 

"Love the sinner hate the sin" ISNT YOUR JOB. We were given two jobs as Christians in Matthew 22:36-40. (We all read our Bibles, look it up). If your Bible isn't around you, let me paraphrase-

Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was. He gave two answers
1-Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength
2-Love your neighbor as yourself

Pointing out sin isn't our job. Unless you're a pastor or a mentor-type figure in someone's life, you don't have the authority to tell someone they're sinning. 

How about instead of "love the sinner hate the sin", we just...love? Don't even acknowledge the sin. We're not Jesus. It's not our job. We're supposed to be "Christ-LIKE" not Christ himself. 

So please, stop. Just love people. That's all. If you just love, you're doing exactly what Jesus told you to do. 

Emily. 




No comments:

Post a Comment